Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The ever elusive Phipherhorn

The first time I skinned to the base of this wasatch icon I had already defeated myself. I was running on about 3/72 hrs of sleep trying to prep for exams. I left the parking lot by headlamp with a pack full of 5hr energies and the determination that goes hand in hand with a caffein high. Honestly I am surprised I even made it to the east ridge before throwing in the towel. I was ready to get out of there and no one was going to stop me. Getting back to the car I felt terrible about such a missed opportunity but also determined to return. This time around Ill get it right.

East ridge where I gave up on the first try
It was late in the season and we were hopeful that there would still be sufficient snow in the NW Coulior to ski the line. We started by headlamp again and made good time. This time I was sure to sleep the night before and held off the caffein till at least a few hrs into the trek.

This time we decided to approach from the east cirque and bypass the east ridge all together
After successfully reaching the summit we took in the scenic view of that valley and the not so scenic view of the rocky snowless coulior. Racking up another failed attempt of the NW, we skied off the back and back down into the cirque.

Next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment